April 05, 2020

The path ahead is uncertain, but filled with hope!


The path ahead is uncertain. The amount of information in the media and on social media has spiked during this Global Pandemic, and there is almost too much to sort through in this past couple of weeks. The danger is to try and consume it all so we don't get left behind, and we have to be reminded to take care of ourselves.

For educators this is an especially challenging time, knowing that each step we take is the right one, and we must move forward carefully. There is a lot being shared, and it can be overwhelming to know what information and resources are helpful. This is when our networks come through. I have been inspired by the work of so many educators recently within my district and beyond.

This post about routines and habits by Kelly Christopherson (@kellywchris) really resonated with me. One of my important routines lately has been running. While on my run today I paused a couple of times to write:

Routines.
Running.
Do what you need to do.
Inspire and be inspired by each other.
No jealousy. 
Let’s all be thoughtful, compassionate, giving, understanding, helpful, respectful, kind. 
Now we are forced to wait, be more patient, and slow down. 
At the grocery store, in traffic, on the trail. 
We aren’t perfect, but we can make changes. 
It’s important to stop and scan the horizon. 
An entire generation is watching and learning through our actions.

As my run continued after writing this, I had a flashback. I was a young parent, a new teacher, and we went to an amusement park for the weekend. We were waiting in line for about a half hour, when I noticed someone cutting in line. I was infuriated and yelled out, "Excuse me!!" My blood was boiling. And then I heard this still, small voice...but it wasn't my inner, calm voice, I wish it was. It was a student from my school saying, "Hi Mr. Sclater!" My heart sank because I realized in that moment that I was not being a good example, and I was not at my best. It was supposed to be a day off, to relax and have fun. But my mind was on getting in as fast as we could and maximizing the number of rides we could get for our money! My priorities were so mixed up. I was so intent on getting so much done in that day, that I forgot what the purpose of being there was all about - my family. 

I have changed a lot since then, and become more patient and respectful, but it's a journey. Right now is an opportunity for all of us to re-prioritize what's really important. We will make mistakes. But the greatest mistake will be to ignore the opportunity that we have right now. Check out this post about positive shifts by David Truss (@datruss) which also inspired me! It's actually all the daily acts in our routines that matter. Time, reflection, commitment, sacrifice, empathy, and intentional small acts everyday lead to bigger shifts that actually make a difference. As I continued to run, more thoughts crossed my mind.

We say that "time is money".
But time is a gift.
Every breath we take.
Our daily movements and patterns.
We need to be grateful.
How much do we value our health?

Information is coming quick.
Seemingly endless communication.
What should we do?
"FOMO".
"Slow and steady wins the race".
"Stay in your lane".

This is not easy. 
It is painful at times.
We feel restricted.
But good things are worth fighting for. 
It’s forcing us to look at what’s really important. 
How valuable is our time?
How valuable are our relationships?

This 'shut down' of society is causing all of us to slow down and be more patient, and that is a good thing. Are you reading more, writing more, watching the news more? Don't forget to rest and find routines that are healthy for your mind, body and spirit! I'm thankful for the daily encouragement I get from others in my networks! Although the path ahead is uncertain, together this is the time where we can look ahead with hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment