April 12, 2020

The plans we had are gone, it's time to find our new routines and our new paths!


On my run this morning I had some time to reflect. I thought back to my recent communication to staff and parents over the past few weeks, and how it has been different lately. Normally I like to talk to people in person if I can avoid sending a long email, and normally we have regular scheduled and non-scheduled times that bring our whole community of learners together where common messaging can be shared and we get to feel that energy of being in the same space. But now, in the experience of being physically distanced, we are all being forced to reach out in different ways--and a lot of it is in print.

Here is an excerpt from an email I wrote three weeks ago to my staff when this Pandemic started about the importance of maintaining healthy routines in the midst of this time of change (I have edited the length for this post and removed parts to maintain privacy):

"Well, we are into week 2 of our spring break, but it’s one that’s unlike any we have ever seen before! I know there is much uncertainty and we did not plan for any of this, but I hope you are finding some kind of normal routine besides going to the grocery store, and still finding joy in your days! Have you started a list of things to schedule your days yet? 

The vision I was building with you and the plans you had for your learners this year will not happen in the way we all envisioned, and we will need to let all that go. We will need something completely new moving forward, it will be different, but in time we will make sense of it. 

If you are feeling apprehensive, trust me I understand, but together we will come through this stronger and we will not disappoint our community.  
We all worry about the kids we work with, every day! The best thing we will be able to do right now is to show that we care and understand how they feel.
Please take this week to rest, be well, and find a routine that brings you peace. 
We will take things slow, one step at a time, and do this the right way to overcome this challenge. And together we will be stronger."


I have continued to lead my staff with the messaging that we need to slow down and be patient. This was two weeks ago (edited down for length):

"There is a lot of information I have to sort through every day and share some of it with you. I know you have many questions about what we are doing and what we are not doing, why we are doing certain things and not other things. All I can tell you is that we are in a new situation and we need to take it slow, and it is important for all of us to be patient. Keep in mind that what’s most important for you is wanting to reach out to your families and check in at some point. They might have lots of questions for you and it’s okay to say, “I’m not sure right now, but we will figure it out.” 


And then this past week (edited down for length):

"I have really slowed down a lot of processes with the main objective of keeping safety as our number 1 priority. Let’s all keep in mind that this is still overwhelming for all of us. When I say all of us, I mean teachers, EAs, support staff, students and parents. So let’ all slow down, less is more right now."

I am still figuring out what this looks like in my personal life and in my work. When we are forced to slow down, we have a chance to re-evaluate and focus on what really matters. On my run this morning I stopped for a moment just to take in this view:


What struck me most was how the trail path curved and I couldn't see what was around the corner. It reminded me about how I had been training for a marathon since September which was supposed to take place in May; but also how that goal has vanished with this Pandemic. It was in my sights and plans, and my training had become a major part of my daily routine. Now I am having to make new plans, but I'm just not totally sure what that looks like yet. Now I am more focused on getting out for a run when it's safe, because I need this regular routine for my physical and mental health. Today I was just happy to be out there and I enjoyed the run. It wasn't my longest, it was my fastest, but it was good and it helped to re-center me again.

I posted after the run:


Our new routines will be so important to help guide and help us along in the coming weeks. It is time to find our new rhythms and routines, and our new paths. We are in this exact time.  Although we cannot see what's ahead, we will be more happy, safe and secure knowing what to expect through our routines. Our children need these routines, we need these routines--having a meal together, going for a walk or bike ride, doing some homework, cleaning around the house, having some kind of physical work out or reflection or prayer time, talking on the phone or video chatting with family or friends, finding time for creative outlets like music or art...all of these new rhythms, patterns and routines will help us to find our new paths.


No comments:

Post a Comment