September 20, 2020

A pendulum or a wrecking ball?


This pandemic has altered our lives in a dizzying way. What we may have all thought at first was going to be a temporary change to our routines, and somewhat sustainable as we held on for the hope of returning to normal, now seems to be a much longer journey and a true test of the will as we search for our new normalcy. 

As we have re-opened schools, there is still a lot of uncertainty in what will happen as we wait and see how all our projected plans and systems are really working. In reality, it gets messy because people are involved, and there have been so many changes and a mountain of correspondence back and forth daily over a short period of time. The difficulty is that when we solve one problem, it quickly ripples and we need to slow back down and re-evaluate. As we pay attention to each set of needs, questions, and priorities, our focus can swing back and forth precariously. And if we don't find our own internal balance, the momentum will move us far off course, and the ending result could be catastrophic. For school leaders and staff this is especially crucial right now. The question is, at what cost?

I recently read a post by a colleague @datruss, which reminded me about the importance of maintaining a healthy routine despite all the challenges and demands that we face in this time. I will admit that due to the busyness of school start-up, I stopped doing a few key things over the past few weeks that have helped me to stay on track - most importantly - running. I noticed my body and mind going in decline as the intensity and demands of work have increased. I spent many weeks considering all the factors to keep my school community safe; but then there is always more to do. I neglected my own priorities in order to take care of everyone else. Carving out time for ourselves has to be a priority.

I have also been challenged by re-reading my own writing which has been recently posted about having imaginative leadership in a pandemic through being adaptable and networked. I wrote these ideas back in March, but now I am having to live and lean into these qualities as a leader now. As I have said recently many times to my staff, we must plan, learn and adapt to new protocols and routines. Just because we might have a good plan, doesn't mean that it isn't going to feel a little overwhelming at times and require some changes. This past week, as a school leader, I definitely felt that. I have had to respond to so many questions and I have had to go back to my plans and change some routines based on the questions and feedback I have received and the observations I have made. 

The truth is that I have many questions too, despite feeling confident in all my planning. The challenge for a lone principal in an elementary school is the feeling of isolation when having to make tough decisions. When the questions from parents and teachers all come in at once, it feels like too much for one person to deal with in a timely and effective manner. It comes down to communication and finding what is a sustainable and respectful balance. For leaders, if we commit to answering every question immediately, then the pendulum swings and we can't get the time we need to process and take care of ourselves. This is where we have to lean into our networks to be recharged and inspired.

This post started by being inspired and in response to a colleague @datruss, and through conversations with friends and people close to me in my networks, who all inspired and helped me to reset my priorities. My own personal health is the key to all other things, and so today I was back out on the trail with my runners on, and my mask. I'm wondering if this writing has inspired anyone else to get back at it and face their challenges. I would love to hear if this is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment